Our mission is to support inclusion through initial assessment of need, provision of specialist support and additional resources, differentiation of learning materials, specialist transport and support with special exam arrangements.
The Additional Learning Support Service at West Nottinghamshire College provides support, advice and guidance for students with a wide range of learning needs.
We work with learners across all college provision, both in the classroom and in the wider college environment, with education, training, social and personal care support.
We work in partnership with teaching staff to provide a holistic approach to supporting learners, which is regularly reviewed and our aim, where possible, is to guide the learner towards independence.
Our service has a growing reputation and we're delighted to link and work with key organisations such as Nottinghamshire Personality Disorder Development Network, NORSACA, Nottinghamshire Asperger’s Team, Early Intervention in Psychosis Team, RNIB, Physical Disability Support Service, Speech & Language Therapy Team as well the Probation Service.
At present there are five support teams working within the service. These are:
- The Autism, Mental Health & Emotional or Behavioural Difficulties Support Team
- The Dyslexia, Literacy, Numeracy, ESOL Support Team
- The D/deaf or Hearing Loss Support Team
- The Physical Disabilities and Complex Needs Support Team
- The Visually Impaired Support Team
Each team can provide tailored support, however as a service we can provide a wide range of specialist support services:
- Pre-entry assessment
- Internal/external assessment of need
- Specialist classroom support e.g. Communication Support Workers, VI IT
- Group support in the classroom
- Support Staff, Note Takers etc.
- Assistive technology e.g. specialist software, laptops, communication support equipment
- 1:1 specialist support for Dyslexia
- Additional tutorial support
- Support with personal care needs
- Advice and guidance to both learners and staff
- Disability Statement
- Special Examination Arrangements such as extra time, readers, scribe or a separate room
- Support with application for Local Authority transport for learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities
- Specialist transport service for learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities
Read our full Disability Statement.
The college has been working with the organisation DisabledGo to provide detailed access information about our buildings and facilities. Click the logo below to access our report.